The release manager is Tom Henderson.
ns-3.18 was released on Thursday August 29. ns-3.18.1 was released on Friday November 15.
Proposed supported platforms
Our primary platforms for this release are planned to be:
- Fedora 18 and 19 (32/64 bit systems)
- Ubuntu 13.04 (32/64 bit systems)
- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and 10.04 LTS (64 bit)
- Mac OS 10.8 (64 bit)
- FreeBSD 8.4, 9.1 (64 bit) using gcc compiler
The following also are planned to be lightly tested:
- Cygwin 220.127.116.11 (for Windows 7)
- Mac OS X 10.7 (64 bit)
- Linux Mint 15
ns-3.18 will be packaged as a source tarball as before: ns-allinone-3.18.tar.bz2.
The tarball will contain:
where bake is used to fetch optional ns-3 components.
These features are presently being worked on and reviewed:
bug 954 resolution (Time: set resolution): (main changes have been merged; bug 954 still open for a remaining issue)
object start/stophave run out of time for this release
- Reworks of http://codereview.appspot.com/6530051/ were discussed at March developer meeting
- it depends on Time resolution/Time units being fixed and will probably depend on data collection frameworks for started and stopped time tracking,
- it uses callbacks as Tommaso proposed, so functions don't need to be named Start() and Stop(),
- Objects which support the functionality should use TracedCallback for reporting instead of TracedValue, as Mathieu suggested.
- This code adds the new 11n data rates, support for short guard interval, greenfield and mixed HT preambles and HT wifi mac. It also adds the HT-Capabilities information element It does not add HT operations information element, A-MPDU, or CTS-To-Self and is thus not yet full 802.11n support.
- revised code review issue here: https://codereview.appspot.com/11345043/
- older code review issue: https://codereview.appspot.com/10809045/
- Ghada is working on finalizing tests
data collection framework:(merged)
- originally introduced on the list here: http://mailman.isi.edu/pipermail/ns-developers/2013-March/010854.html
- wiki page here: http://www.nsnam.org/wiki/index.php/Data_Collection_Framework#July_2013_code_review
- revised code review issue here: http://codereview.appspot.com/10974043
- checkin is pending a few tests
Mac16Address and Mac64Address cleanup(merged)
- code review here: https://codereview.appspot.com/7691046/
6LoWPANTommaso decided to hold this back
- code review here: https://codereview.appspot.com/10945044
latest LTE module release by the LENA projectmerged
- code review here: https://codereview.appspot.com/11372043
mobility model with buildings models:(merged)
- The new approach relies on a new class MobilityBuildingInfo which can be aggregated to any MobilityModel. This allows having moving nodes in presence of buildings.
- code review here: https://codereview.appspot.com/11374043
Note (Aug 18): additional cleanup (including clang and visual studio) will likely slip until the next release cycle
We need to take a pass through the code base to remove deprecated code.
Cleanup code to silence compiler warnings and solve other compiler issues:
- Clang 3.2: https://codereview.appspot.com/10975043
- Visual Studio: https://codereview.appspot.com/8932044/
We need to clean up the "Current Development" and "Roadmap" pages to make it clear who is doing what:
1) make clear entry point to 'Current work' from main web page
2) consider to merge 'Current development' and 'Roadmap' pages, and make sure that a person is associated with each feature that is being actively worked.
3) tie this into our "release page" for each release, so people can understand whether any given issue on the front burner or not
4) make updating this a job of the release manager
Here are some additional issues that need to be discussed and worked on (but will slip to ns-3.19 or later since no patches were proposed):
- bug 1605 is a longstanding issue about jitter in our models
- bug 1561 modular doxygen
- bug 1347 modular headers
- bug 1334 long-term support for ns-3 releases
- bug 1327 packaging
additional new feature reviews
The following code will probably slip beyond ns-3.18, due to lack of recent activity:
- GSOC code review for HLA interfaces: http://codereview.appspot.com/6458160/
- GSOC code review for NAT and Netfilter: http://codereview.appspot.com/6454146/
- Low resolution radio model: code review
- Wideband propagation model (only exponential PDP is implemented); 
- Brian Panneton's antenna model updates http://mailman.isi.edu/pipermail/ns-developers/2012-April/010322.html
- New IEEE 802.11b indoor wireless channel models for (HMM and BEAR)
- Longley-Rice and ITU terrain-aware propagation models
- TCP Echo Code review here, needs updating
- Finishing ns-3-click-mac extensions -> Blocked by queue API resolution
- Monitor mode support (Update from Bjorn)
- UAN Mobility Model merge (from previous GSOC)
- blocked on resolving changes to WaypointMobilityModel API
- BitTorrent: http://mailman.isi.edu/pipermail/ns-developers/2012-December/010783.html
- Sliding to ns-3.18 due to availability of contributors to work the comments
- Switched Ethernet device: http://codereview.appspot.com/5615049/
- HTTP traffic generator: http://codereview.appspot.com/4940041/
- GPSR: http://codereview.appspot.com/5401042
- TMix and Delaybox: http://code.google.com/p/tmix-ns3/
- SNR tag patches: https://www.nsnam.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1566
- SMCEN/RNS: https://codereview.appspot.com/7304093/
- LR-WPAN: https://codereview.appspot.com/8339045/
Bugs being worked
We will use bugzilla to track bug priorities (esp. P1 blocker bugs) for the next release.
Bugs to close
Bugs will be closed on best effort basis.