Difference between revisions of "GSOC2012LTEScheduling"
(Created page with "= Abstract = The ns-3 LTE module released by the LENA project supports the FemtoForum MAC LTE MAC Scheduler Interface Specification for the implementation of MAC schedulers. Cur...")
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
The ns-3 LTE module released by the LENA project supports the FemtoForum MAC LTE MAC Scheduler Interface Specification for the implementation of MAC schedulers. Currently, only simple Round Robin and Proportional Fair schedulers are supported. This project will develop several main MAC schedulers for LTE. It also includes corresponding test suites and user manual.
The ns-3 LTE module released by the LENA project supports the FemtoForum MAC LTE MAC Scheduler Interface Specification for the implementation of MAC schedulers. Currently, only simple Round Robin and Proportional Fair schedulers are supported. This project will develop several main MAC schedulers for LTE. It also includes corresponding test suites and user manual
= Approach =
= Approach =
Revision as of 18:27, 2 May 2012
LTE Scheduling with the FemtoForum MAC Scheduler API
- Student: Dizhi Zhou
- Mentors: : Nicola Baldo, Marco Miozzo
- Abstract: The ns-3 LTE module released by the LENA project supports the FemtoForum MAC LTE MAC Scheduler Interface Specification for the implementation of MAC schedulers. Currently, only simple Round Robin and Proportional Fair schedulers are supported. This project will develop several main MAC schedulers for LTE. It also includes corresponding test suites and user manual. The complete proposal can be found in here.
- About me: I'm a second year Ph.D. candidate in the University of New Brunswick, Canada. My research interest includes multipath transmission for video streaming, cooperative wireless network and network simulation. You can find more information about my research in here.
LTE packet scheduler list
- 1, Pure Opportunistic (PO): PO is usually used as an benchmark for other advanced LTE MAC schedulers in research paper.The user with the highest channel gain will be allocated the maximum possible rate for reception in the downlink
- 2, Maximum Throughput (MT): eNB serves the users with largest instantaneous supportable data rate which can be caculated by cqi (user GetMcsFromCqi () and GetTbSizeFromMcs function)
- 3, Blind Equal Throughput (BET): it reachs same throughput for all users, regardless of their radio channel quality. The priority is the reciprocal of past average throughput which can be get by lastAveragedThroughput field in pfsFlowPerf_t.
- 4, Throughput to Average (TTA): averaging the resources evenly between the users. NOTE: TTA can only be used in frequency domain.
- 5, Adaptive Token Bucket (TBFQ): ﬂows belonging to UEs that are suffering from severe interference, and shadowing conditions in particular, will have a higher priority index.
- 6, Priority set scheduling (PSS): this is the scheduler for TD which aims at providing a deﬁned Target Bit Rate (TBR) to all users. Specifically, in TD scheduler part, the scheduler first sets all available users into two sets based on the target bit rate (TBR): set 1: users below TBR, use TD-BET; set 2: users above TBR, use TD-PF; Users belonged to set 1 have higher priority than ones in set 2. In NS-3, the m_eRabGuaranteedBitrateUL and m_eRabGuaranteedBitrateDl can be used as values to compare the TBR defined by the simulator. For example, for downlink scheduler, if m_eRabGuaranteedBitrateUL is smaller than TBR we set in script, then the MAC layer will use TD-BET scheduler in this case.
Each scheduler has two versions: time-domain and frequency domain. The scheduler for LTE consists of two parts: TD-PS and FD-PS. TD-PS can select which user can be served for one TTI based on varied priority metrics, such as RR, PF, BET and so on. The output of TD-PS is a group of user, called scheduling candidate set (SCS). Then FD-PS will allocate RBs for those users (the SCS will also be limited by the number of PDCCHs). It seems that, in the current implementation of RR and PF schedulers for LENA LTE, only FD-PS is used. Therefore, I plan to define a TD-PS + FD-PS scheduler structure in this GSoC project. In related work, some researchers compare the performance of using different priority metric combinations for above scheduler structure. For example, in paper , authors evaluate the performance of TD-PF/FD-PF, TD-BET/TD-TTA, TD-MT/FD-MT.
In this GSoC project, one of my idea is that I can develop TD-PS and FD-PS independently with varied priority metrics. Users can selcet their own combinations based on the available PS models.
for each scheduler s write design documentation of s find reference throughput for s implement s write test code for s write test documentation for s publish code of s in public repository submit code of s for review using the codereview tool end
Becasue this GSoC project is an extension of current LTE MAC scheduler implementations, the test approach will follow the system test part in , test suites for each scheduler will be created as:
- 1, compare the throughput performance obtained from simulation to the reference throughput. If their values are within a given tolerance, then test is passed.
Test case: one eNB, multiple UEs For single test case, all UEs have same SINR (same distance to eNB) For different test case, each UE has different SINR (different distance to eNB) and different number of UE
- 2, check the fairness of scheduler: compare the throughput ratiro get from simulation to the reference throughput ratio
Test case: one eNB, multiple UEs For single test case, all UEs have different SINR different distance to eNB)
- Kwan, R. and C. Leung, A survey of scheduling and interference mitigation in LTE. JECE, 2010. 2010: p. 1-10.
- Kela, P., et al. Dynamic packet scheduling performance in UTRA Long Term Evolution downlink. in Wireless Pervasive Computing, 2008. ISWPC 2008. 3rd International Symposium on. 2008.
- Giuseppe Piro, Luigi Alfredo Grieco, Gennaro Boggia, Rossella Fortuna, and Pietro Camarda, Two-level downlink scheduling for real-time multimedia services in LTE networks, IEEE * Trans. Multimedia, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 1052 - 1065, Oct., 2011
- Mongha, G., et al. QoS Oriented Time and Frequency Domain Packet Schedulers for The UTRAN Long Term Evolution. in Vehicular Technology Conference, 2008. VTC Spring 2008.
- F. A. Bokhari, H. Yanikomeroglu, W. K. Wong, and M. Rahman, “Cross-layer resource scheduling for video trafﬁc in the downlink of OFDMA-based wireless 4G networks,” EURASIP J. Wirel. Commun. Netw., pp. 1–10, 2009.
- LTE Simulator Documentation Release M4, 2011
- FemtoForum MAC LTE MAC Scheduler Interface Specification
- B. Sadiq, R. Madan, and A. Sampath, Downlink scheduling for multiclass traffic in LTE, EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications andNetworking, vol. 2009, Article ID510617, 2009
- G. Monghal, K. I. Pedersen, I. Z. Kov´acs, and P. E. Mogensen, QoS oriented time and frequency domain packet schedulers for the UTRAN long term evolution, in Proceedings of the IEEEVehicular Technology Conference (VTC 2008), pp. 2532– 2536, 2008.
- D. López-Pérez, A. Ladanyi, A. Jüttner, H. Rivano and J. Zhang, Optimization Method for the Joint Allocation of Modulation Schemes, Coding Rates, Resource Blocks and Power in Self-Organizing LTE Networks, IEEE INFOCOM (International Conference on Computer Communications), Shanghai, China, April 2011
- APIs for LTE MAC scheduler: TD-MT,TF-MT; FD-TTA; D-BET,TF-BET; TD-PO,TF-PO; TD-TBFQ,TF-TBFQ; TD-PSS;
- Test suites for above schedulers;
- Example scripts on how to use ns-3-lte-scheduler.
- Documentation describing ns-3-LTE scheduler, its design and how to use it.
- Week 1/2 May.21 -- Jun.3: implementation of TD-MT,TF-MT scheduler
- Week 3 Jun.4 -- Jun.10: implementation of FD-TTA scheduler
- Week 4/5 Jun.11 -- Jun.24: implementation of TD-BET,TF-BET scheduler
- Week 6 Jun.25 -- Jul.8: test suites for above schedulers
- Week 7 Jul.9 -- Jul.13: mid-term report
- Week 8/9 Jul.14 -- Jul.22: implementation of TD-PO,TF-PO scheduler
- Week 10/11 Jul.23 -- Jul.29: implementation of TD-TBFQ,TF-TBFQ scheduler
- Week 12 Jul.30 -- Aug.5: implementation of TD-PSS scheduler
- Week 13 Aug.6 -- Aug.13: test suites for above schedulers
- Week 14 Aug.14 - Aug.24: intergration and documentation