Back to Google Summer of Code 2019.
- Project Name: Integration of the 3GPP TR 38.901 channel model in the ns-3 spectrum module
- Student: Tommaso Zugno
- Mentor: Natale Patriciello
- Proposal: link to the document
- Abstract: In recent years, ns-3 has been widely used for the simulation of wireless networks, because it features several built-in and external modules implementing different wireless technologies. The overall performance of this kind of networks are strongly influenced by the characteristics of the signal propagation through the wireless link, thereby, a proper modeling of the channel behavior is of primary importance to obtain reliable results from the simulations. This project aims to tackle this issue by proposing an extension of the spectrum module to model both frequency and spatial-dependent phenomena, and to account for the directional behavior of the signal propagation. This will be achieved by implementing the modeling framework described in 3GPP TR 38.901, which includes the statistical characterization of different propagation environments, supports the modeling of multi-antenna systems, and, thanks to its modularity, can be easily extended with new environments or other additional features. Even if it has been specifically designed for the simulation of cellular networks, it supports frequency bands between 0.5 and 100 GHz, thus can be used even for other wireless technologies.
- Code: GitLab repo
- About Me: I am a first-year PhD student at the University of Padova, Italy, working under the supervision of prof. Michele Zorzi. My research focus on protocols and architectures for 5G cellular systems operating at mmWaves.
Week 0 (Community Bonding Period)
- discussion with my mentor about project plan, test cases, examples, model validation
- creation of a wiki page for the project
- project introduction in ns-developers
- discussion with ns-developers about the extension of the "SpectrumSignalParameters" structure
- creation of a git repository for the project
Week 1 (May 27 - June 2)
- discussion with my mentor about the following issues:
- how to apply the pathloss models without the knowledge of the type of the devices
- computation of the pathloss between UE-UE and BS-BS
- how to consider the mobility of both the devices for the computation of the Doppler frequency component and the spatial consistent procedure
- design of the ChannelConditionModel abstract class and of the ThreeGppYYYChannelConditionModel subclasses
- design of the ThreeGppYYYPropagationLossModel classes