Ns-3 on Visual Studio 2012
- Visual Studio Express 2012 for C++
- Visual Studio Express 2012 for C++ can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads
Please note: Visual Studio 2010 is not supported
- Mercurial can be downloaded from http://mercurial.selenic.com/
How to download
The ns-3 package is available for download using mercurial using the command below
hg clone http://code.nsnam.org/jabraham3/ns-3-win2
How to build
Open the solution file "ns-3-win2/windows/ns-3-dev/ns-3-dev.sln" using Visual Studio 2012. After all the projects are loaded do the following:
- From the menu click "Build" --> "Build Solution"
If all goes we should see a build log similar to the below
1> main.vcxproj -> C:\ws\test\ns-3-win2\windows\ns-3-dev\Debug\main.exe ========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 34 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
Running the main program
The executable can be run from the command-prompt by
C:\>cd windows\ns-3-dev\Debug ..Debug>main.exe
Changing the main program
To replace the default main program in the "main" project. Do the following:
- Select the "main" project
- Expand the "Source Files" filter
- Right-Click on the existing .cc file, which in a new installation is "third.cc" and select "Remove"
- Right-Click on "Source Files" --> "Add"
- In the popup-menu select "Existing Item" to add an existing source file or select "New Item" to create a new source file.
- At this point you can repeat the #How to build steps above to build the solution.
Adding a new module
To create your own module do the following:
- Right-click on the "Solution ns-3-dev" and select Add --> "New Project"
- In the dialog that follows select "Visual C++"--> "Empty Project" as the type of project.
- Enter the name of your module such as "My Module" and click OK.
- From the solution view, right-click on the new project ("My Module") and select "Properties"