The main activities are focused on promoting the development and maintenance of ns-3 software. However, the ns-3 project operates separately as an open source project.
The activities that the Consortium oversees are as follows:
- prepare a yearly scientific, technical, and financial report.
- organize an annual meeting for Consortium members; this meeting may coincide with a technical conference or may be an independent event. This event is typically the annual Workshop on ns-3.
- organize and provide for an annual training course for Consortium members, typically held with the annual Workshop on ns-3.
- administrative items dealing with Consortium finances and project maintenance activities.
- recommend or fund software development, tests, or documentation based on member contributions.