- 1 Current review items
- 2 Release status
- 3 Release goals
- 3.1 Build system
- 3.2 Python bindings
- 3.3 ns-3 core
- 3.4 network module
- 3.5 TCP models
- 3.6 traffic-control module
- 3.7 lte module
- 3.8 wifi module
- 3.9 lr-wpan module
- 3.10 mesh
- 3.11 internet module
- 3.12 applications module
- 3.13 uan module
- 3.14 other
- 4 Release and development schedule
- 5 Help wanted
Current review items
Patches that are in LAST CALL state are nearing merge to ns-3-dev.
Patches that are labelled with a code review label are awaiting more review feedback.
We are waiting for resolution of API scanning for Python bindings (gccxml needs to be replaced by CastXML: https://www.nsnam.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2451) before releasing.
In the meantime, some final changes are being made to wifi, traffic-control, and internet (DHCP) modules.
- Upgrade Waf and bake build systems according to this functional specification for supporting contributed code
- Update May 7. Patches have been committed; see this mailing list description
- gccxml needs to be replaced by CastXML: https://www.nsnam.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2451.
- Update July 3. See bug report for status.
Tom Henderson would like to finish off:
- refactor chi-squared tests for random number generation (bug 1927)
- Matt's test.py contributions (bug 2291)
- bug 1962 on random variable stream GetStream() returning -1
- bug 1604 on Config::GetDefault
Peter Barnes intends to continue working on:
- Bug 938 - missing Doxygen in ns-3
- Bug 1764 - can't compile without pthread
- Bug 1972 - CommandLine duplicate argument handling
Update May 7: These may slide past ns-3.27 release date.
There are a large number of patches pending on the Packet class and its friends; Tom H intends to work through them with Mathieu and with patch contributors.
- bug 2505: Header::Deserialize
- bug 2308 was reopened; see also 2361. Need to add a 'best current practice' note to the documentation, on tag usage
- bug 2221: Packet tag size increased by 1 byte recently due to a Wi-Fi requirement; what should we do about this? is the previous 20 byte limit sacred?
- bug 2198: proposed const addition
- bug 2078: Tommaso found problems in metadata usage
- bug 2102: another metadata bug reported
- bug 1643: this has lingered with a patch for a while
- bug 1535: this Packet::AddAtEnd() in TCP is still around; the TCP buffers still use this
- bug 1407: packet header printing disabled
- consider Alex's proposal of some API changes to the tags class: https://www.nsnam.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1383
- consider to finish patch for serializing/deserializing tags (bug 582)
TCP SACK has been merged and LEDBAT is under review, along with a few bug fixes.
Natale Patriciello and contributors are working on the following.
1) Open tracker issues (Last check in July 3.)
2613: MaxRxSequence sometimes too largefixed
- 2565: Do not wait 2*MSL to notify socket close (waiting for comments)
2559: TCP advertised window.fixed
2263: Support processing multiple TCP options in 1 headerfixed
- 2122: decouple TcpTxBuffer variables (wrong bug number? Right is 2112?)
- 2264: Possibility to setup Initial Sequence Number (patch added)
- 1529: randomize TCP initial sequence number
- 2285: loss of TCP 3-way handshake calls receive callback to fire (patch added)
- 1167: TCP socket deferring CLOSE forever
- 2133: In TCP close procedure, assert fail when receive in FIN_WAIT_2 (patch added)
- 2278: in TcpSocketBase, need to advance NextTxSequence
2256: TCPTxBuffer should be able to tell BytesInFlightfixed
- 2220: RAM usage reduction through reduction of retx events (patch added)
2214: TCP ScheduleNow for data transferfixed
- 1783: experiencing drops during FastRec causes Tcp cw to blow up (patch added)
2) MPTCP is also in work but not for ns-3.27
- introduce mq (a multi-queue queue disc configured by default on wifi, along with fq-codel)
- LTE RACH: https://www.nsnam.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2300 (patch is very large-- Marco is reviewing)
- Carrier Aggregation from Google Summer of Code 2015 (needs additional work)
Tom and Tommaso will try to review and merge the IPv6 support:
lte maintenance items
Manuel Ricardo plans to work on bug 2308 (how tags are used) in May. Issue reopened
Biljana will coordinate the remaining LTE bug responses on a best-effort basis:
- 2339: PUSCH transmit power scaled incorrectly
- 2282: Resources from UDP flows not realized
- 2277: EpcTftClassifier::Classify blindly assumes L4 header
- 2172: Out-of-bounds array access
- 2161: Error in removing a bearer in epc-mme class
- 2152: Uplink HARQ retransmissions out of synch at MAC layer
- 2151: Redundancy version in uplink HARQ not generated properly
- 2140: TraceFadingLossModel could use a wrong value
- 2113: LTE RLC AM: all status reports indicate no more than one NACK
- 2107: PCAP printing for S1U and X2
- 2091: Race condition in LteUePhy::GenerateCqiRsrpRsrq
- 2048: PfFfMacScheduler assigns dlinfo even if no resources available
- 1861: Problem when send UDP packet size between 1473-1478 bytes
- 1840: SINR->CQI->MCS conversion in the UL
- 1515: REM shows increased SINR when co-located eNBs have same EARFCN
- 1460: LTE-EPC/RPM different SINR values
- 1438: lena-simple-epc with AM mode
Wifi continues to undergo significant development activity.
A high priority is the frame capture model: https://www.nsnam.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2368
- Update Dec 13: Bin is working with Sebastien on splitting the patch.
Sebastien Deronne is working on these extensions:
- HT Greenfield support
- extension of MPDU aggregation and block ack support (multi-tid, delayed response, …)
Tom Henderson is working on these extensions:
- support for selecting best beacon to associate with (also, channel roaming)
- support for separate LAA Wifi Coexistence module
- shepherd the WinLab packet capture model review
- new SpectrumWifiPhy error models based on link-to-system mapping
Matias Richart is working on RRPAA rate control
- Detection thresholds reworked (Seb/Tom)
- Wifi code cleanup/refactoring (Seb/Tom)
Tommaso is aiming to get Vishwesh's code merged from GSOC 2015.
Other than that, the following bugs are open:
- 2088 SetMcpsDataIndicationCallback stops UDP data
- 2033 IFS are not currently implemented
- 1934 CCA interrupted by incoming packet
- 1933 CCA mode should be configurable
- 1924 sensing radius and CCA
- 1879 LR-WPAN association primitive
- 1809 lr-wpan features needed
There is some difference of opinion whether this is mesh or Wi-Fi; it is probably a Wi-Fi bug triggered by a mesh use case.
- 2326 False duplicate detection in MacRxMiddle
Tommaso is coordinating the below new feature work.
- DHCP support: https://www.nsnam.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2280
- increased support for ARP/ND changes in bug 2145
- Krishna's code from 2014 GSOC
maintenance issues for internet
Some recent internet bugs:
- 2209 ICMP message forwarding not based in incoming interface
- 2180 is possible to register same route multiple times
- 2064 UDP socket GetMtu() needed
- 1984 expose additional random variables to configuration system
For application module, we have a backlog of contributed code reviews related to new applications:
- MPEG traffic generator
- trace replay application
- web browsing application
and we also have these maintenance issues:
- 2178 add Rx trace source to UdpEchoServer
- 2111 add receiver timestamp to SeqTsHeader (we seem to have agreed to make a new header?)
- 2106 add SetSocket API
- 1977 v4ping verbose output when not explicitly stopped
- 1899 add sequence number header (possibly related to 2111?)
Federico Guerra plans to integrate WOSS with the UAN module.
Hossam Khader has also been active with patches and new proposals; see issues 2404, 2405, 2410, 2413.
Chip Webb is working on improving support for Ethernet (full duplex links, switches and mixed L2/L3 networks)
Release and development schedule
If you would like to help prepare the ns-3.27 release in some way, please contact Tom Henderson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Also, please check back at a later date as specific tasks may be listed here.